If you like Italian food, nothing is better than homemade. This is our family recipe for homemade manicotti with ricotta cheese.
This recipe will walk you through how to make the shells or crepes, as we like to call them, and mix the ricotta cheese.
After that all you need to do is fill the shells roll them up, and bake in a baking dish with your favorite tomato sauce.
Serve with a nice salad and some fresh Italian bread. This will easily serve 5 to 6 people.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SHELLS:
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Pinch of salt
This will make about 20 Shells
INGREDIENTS FOR THE RICOTTA CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 pounds of ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the ingredients for the shells in a medium mixing bowl, mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Set the batter aside and for about 20 or 30 minutes.
- Spray an 8” non stick pan with cooking spray, set to medium heat on the stove.
- Pour a ¼ cup of batter at a time into the pan; tilt the pan from side to side so the batter spreads. After about 30 or 40 seconds flip the shell to cook the other side.
- Set each she on a wire rack or parchment paper to cool.
- Now mix your ricotta cheese ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon the ricotta cheese into the center of the shells, about 2 to 3 tablespoons each.
- Grease a large baking dish and spread some tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Place the manicotti in the baking dish side by side with the fold on the bottom.
- Cover the top with tomato sauce and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Feel free to rate this recipe in the comments below. Thanks for stopping by.